Cauliflower, a pretty cruciferous vegetable, (part of the Brassica oleracea family), that looks like a flower is also very good for you. But don’t let its’ pretty looks fool you, its’ bad-ass good for you!
With its’ high level of anti-inflammatory compounds, rich supply of health-promoting phytochemicals, and ability to ward off many cancers, heart disease, brain disease and even weight gain, cauliflower is a great vegetable to incorporate into your weekly diet.
Some studies demonstrate that cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower are especially useful for preventing breast, colon, liver, lung and stomach cancers. Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compunds, which lower the presence of free radicals in our body. Cauliflower also contains a rich nutrient, beta-carotene, which is great for our vision and skin.
So, if you are scratching your head not knowing what vegetable to prepare with your next meal, reach out for some pretty and pretty healthy cauliflower. Your body will thank you. Enjoy!
Roasted Cauliflower with Almonds & Capers
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves- chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 heaping tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, gently toss the cauliflower florets with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt. Spread the cauliflower on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the parsley leaves, capers, red pepper flakes and sliced almonds. Set aside.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add into the caper mixture making sure to scrape the melted cheese into the bowl. Mix gently and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil before serving.