I was so excited today when I went to Whole Foods and saw they had “Organic Blueberries” on sale for $3.99 a pint! Woo Hoo! Organic blueberries on sale! Yes!
I love blueberries, actually any berry makes me happy. They are delicious, fun to eat and packed with antioxidants that help keep me healthy. Remember : color in food equals nutrients.
As a young girl, I remember going picking berries with my grandmother and brother and bringing them home, eating some and then baking with the rest. Our home always smelled amazing from the various goodies my grandmother baked. But the actual fruit was out of this world, packed with flavor! There is nothing better tasting than fresh picked fruit, but if you cannot go picking, buy some fresh organic fruit at your store.
So as you know, I always like to throw in some nutritional facts about the food in the blog article to help you feel better about what you are eating and to just get a quick general knowledge about food. So, with that said, blueberries, being these absolute perfect round, tiny balls of deep, blue color are actually packed with cancer fighting agents.
Blueberries are an antioxidant “Superfood”. They are packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids. They are high in potassium and vitamin C and great for pregnant women.
This cake incorporates fresh lemon zest and lemon juice for delicious, fresh, bright flavor; vanilla for a touch of added sweetness, and yogurt for that rich, creamy, moist cake texture. Are you salivating yet? The blueberries add that great pop of sweet flavor and the lemony drizzle pulls everything together for a beautiful and flavorful presentation. Serve this with your morning coffee or tea, hot chocolate for the kids or for an after dinner dessert with wine. (Hello!!!)
But as always, Enjoy.
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Cake with Lemony Glaze
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries, about 1 ½ cups (plus 1/4 cup more for decoration)
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. In addition to this you may also place parchment paper on the bottom and grease the paper for easier removal of the cake.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add in the sugar and salt and stir to incorporate. Make a well in the center. Set aside
- In another medium bowl, mix together the egg, milk, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into well. Mix just until combined. Stir in the yogurt. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. (Depending on your oven) When you insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean is when your cake is done baking. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Remove the cake from the pan and set on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake and allow to cool completely.
For Lemon Glaze:
- Combine confectioners’ sugar with lemon juice, milk and lemon zest. Stir until smooth consistency. Drizzle over warm bread.
- Let cool before slicing.
11 Comments Add yours
This looks and sounds like a delicious cake! I really like yogurt based cakes! Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂 I made blondies and they turned out great. Hope you check these out and give them a try 🙂
Thank you for your comment. I also checked out your site and saw some nice recipes. Will send you a “follow.”
Looks so refreshing!
Thank you. The cake is super moist!
It looks delicious
Now I need to go to Whole Foods! That looks divine! ;D
Thank you Jennifer!!!
This Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Cake looks incredible, thanks for sharing the recipe!! 😀
My pleasure, and thank you for your kind words!
This looks delicious! I have never tried yogurt cake.
The yogurt makes the cake a bit more moist and it’s very tasty!