Love seafood but hate spending an arm and a leg in restaurants? Why not make it at home and have a party?!
Mussels are relatively inexpensive and they are very versatile and quick and EASY to prepare. Here in NYC you can purchase 2 pounds of mussels for around $7.00 which will feed 2 people. And it looks like you spent an arm and a leg. Serve it with some fresh crusty bread, a bottle (or 2) of wine, soft music and you will feel very proud of your meal accomplishment! And not a sink full of dishes. Enjoy!
Mussels in Red Curry Sauce
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh mussels, cleaned and scrubbed, beards removed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (if allergic to peanut use canola oil)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into long pieces (you will discard them later)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice from 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 loaf of good crusty bread
Heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, red curry paste and wine and bring to a simmer, whisking to combine the ingredients and to break up the red curry paste. Add in the mussels, cover the pot, and let steam until opened about 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir the mussels around. Add in the basil and cilantro and cover. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard any mussels that did not open and the lemongrass. Serve from Dutch oven into individual bowls> Serve with the bread.