Kekabs can be found just about everywhere in India and in the middle East. It is basically meat on a stick. Easy to make and easy to eat on the go.
These kebabs are packed with tons of flavor. There are many spices and herbs that will make your mouth dance a happy dance in this recipe. Although I do not find them hot or too spicy, some may, the cucumber yogurt sauce will definitely cool things off and provide more flavors.
I like the presentation the woody rosemary sprigs make but if you cannot find them you may substitute with metal or wooden skewers. Just remember if using wooden, you will need to soak them in some water for about 30 minutes so they do not burn.
Set your table with some colorful napkins and plates, candles throughout the room, music, and it’ll transport you to a different part of the world! Serve this delicious meat with some basmati rice and you will feel like you are in a great Indian restaurant. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Kebabs: Serves 2
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 2 sun dried-tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 2 dried chilies, seeded
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch of sea salt
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 long woody rosemary sprigs, for skewering, bottom leaves removed
- lemon wedges for serving
Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl except the lemon juice, rosemary sprigs, and lemon wedges.
Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal parts and press each part onto the rosemary springs forming a nice even oval shape. Place onto a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place the baking sheet in the oven. Drizzle some lemon juice onto the kebabs every 3-4 minutes and turn them over 3-4 minutes. Remove after a total of 15 minutes. Serve with the cucumber yogurt sauce and basmati rice.
Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
Ingredients: Serves 2
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup hot house cucumber, grated, with peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl and place in refrigerator to keep cold while kebabs are prepping.