It’s that time of the year! Zucchini is in abundance here, there and everywhere! No matter where you go, the market, the grocery or anyone’s garden, there is this beautiful vegetable, zucchini.
You can prepare so many wonderful and versatile recipes with this beauty, from savory to sweet. But, tonight, I made savory. I made this creamy, (without any cream) packed with flavor zucchini soup that you may serve either hot or cold. Since it’s been humid, I felt the cold version was better. It’s so easy to prepare, that you and your guests will be smiling into the warm sunset! Enjoy!
Ingredients: Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground pepper to season
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- Julienned raw zucchini, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the zucchini. Gently stir to incorporate and cover. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes., stirring frequently. Add the stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a simmer; cook until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until it’s silky-smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Serve it either hot or chilled, garnished with Julienned zucchini.